Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"September 11, 2009" from Steve

Steve posted this on Facebook on September 11, 2009. I've written about what 9/11 was like for me. The following account is told from a good friend of his that, sweetly enough, still e-mails me football quips. Since I no longer have to my Stevie to keep me informed, it's an important thread that has kept me tethered. I believe those who've seen some of the worse that life has to offer understand the importance of all these little threads that lift us up. Thank you, St. Ides, for staying.

September 11, 2009

I've saved this email, from a good friend of mine, who witnessed the events of 9-11 first hand. He sent this out that evening. I've taken his name out, because I have not asked his permission to post this. Someday I'll write about how I felt that day... talking to Karen in Virgina, and talking to my Mom who watched it on TV and could smell the smoke for days in our house in Queens. But for now I leave you with words I could not have written any better or more poignantly.

This is a graphic account of what my friend saw, and is not for the timid...

>>

It was fuct up.... here's an attempt to recount it, just because it was so fuct up and maybe it will make me feel a little better if I get this shit out... warning, this shit is not for the squeamish, but it's exactly how things happened for me.

I came out of the subway at about 9:05, with a rush of people coming towards the subway, which was totally unusual.. however, I just thought "oh, some other subway line is probably fuct up"... until someone said the Trade Center was on fire.. then someone said a plane hit it... I looked up,and there was insane amounts of smoke, but it was blowing towards the east(away from me... more towards the Seaport actually)... I walked around City Hall Park, get a better view, and saw a fucking hole in the side of one of the towers with flames spewing out. All I could think was "wow, that's pretty fucked up, but no big deal, they'll put it out..." Then I heard that a second plane had hit the other tower, and that it was most likely a terrorist attack... you've got to keep in mind this is only talk among people in the midst of it, at this point even the radios had no clue.

I stood outside City Hall Park for about half an hour while I tried to decide if I should go in to my actual office building. It was at this time that I saw my first "victim" who was a middle-aged overweight woman, whose face was covered in blood. She walked alone, seemed totally fucking dazed, and didn't even look at anybody, just walked straight ahead. After being there for about 45 minutes, I noticed that NOBODY was going in that direction except for emergency vehicles, cops, and dudes with black windbreakers with the yellow letters "FBI" in the back,

I headed north on Broadway, following the herd. About 8 blocks later, there is this other rumbling sound, and people start talking about a 3rd plane hitting... Then someone with a radio says one of the towers collapses... No fucking way I figure, not collapse totally,maybe just the burnt floors tipped over... And I keep walking.. Eventually, I pass Canal Street, and Spring Street, the two next stops on my train, and the people there say ALL train activity is suspended. So I'm pretty much stuck..I turn around, find a good place to watch, and look up... It was so fucking unbelievably odd to look up and see only ONE of the twin towers. And you knew it wasn't because of the angle, because the grey-smoke-covered blue sky filled the space where the second tower belonged. I watched. And wondered why there wasn't any sort of water trying to put it out. Helicopter hoses,plane drops, super-duper-powered hoses from the ground. Fuck, you would think some technology today would be able to reach a fire at that height.But they couldn't.... Debris fell from the building... Paper bits flickered out like snow.Pieces of what I could only imagine as chunks of floor and ceiling fell away from the building as it burned.. heavy, but fluttering once it fell.. and then there was the debris that didn't flutter... the debris that as it was falling, you saw it had arms and legs... the kind of debris that when it fell, the whole crowd that was looking upward screamed and gasped and said"Oh my God!"... I saw at least 3 people jump/fall from the burning building...

Minutes later, the antenna at the top of the tower started to shake a bit, and the top part crumbled. And the bottom part fell beneath it.I'm sure you saw this on the TV many times over, but seeing it really happen, hearing the loud boom, and watching people break down and cry is just beyond words... At that point, it was a question of "How do we get home?" and "Will there be more attacks?" and the rumors in the streets were ridiculous. Some people said a third plane was on its way, some said the Pentagon was hit too(that one turned out to be true), some said the White House was hit, some said the Sears Tower in Chicago was hit... Some said that some Palestinian group took blame for the hit... I took everything with a grain of salt, but there was no doubt two planes going into both Towers was a terrorist act. And who knew what else could potentially be next...

Subways were still shut down. I walked several miles to 34th street,where I could potentially get an express bus back home. After waiting for an hour,it was obvious those shits weren't coming. I made my way over to the Abbey Tavern, had a bacon burger, watched the latest news, and waited for subway service to be restored. Oh yeah, I had a few pints of Guinness too. Took the 4 train from 42nd (that's another several blocks of walking) to125th, where I got the 6 and made it home by about 6:45pm. At this point, I have no fucking clue what kind of shape my office building is in, if and when I have work again. I imagine there won't be work tomorrow. And from some of the shit I have seen on TV, it looks like my building might be out of business for some time. (Hard to tell exactly where they are in some camera shots, but I think I saw my building and its windows blown out.) So I don't think I'll be making it to lunch the rest of this week...

How are people at AmFar? I'm sure they saw a lot of this too.... Anyways, thanks for the concern, and pass along the "I'm okay" message to any peeps at DL that care. Feel free to pass along the whole message, but it might not appeal to some people.

laters yo

No comments:

Post a Comment