Thursday, August 22, 2013

Spouse Bereavement Leave (Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

Spouse Bereavement Leave (Initiative to Amend the FMLA)

I was "lucky" when my husband, Steve, died in that I didn't work. If I had, I would have been given the mandated three days bereavement leave before being expected to return to work. If I had any vacation time, my supervisors may have been gracious enough to allow me to use it at that time. Once all my vacation time and three days bereavement were used up, they could demand my return to work or fire me with cause. And a firing with cause? That can keep a person from being granted unemployment benefits.

What about FMLA? It's set up so a worker can take up to twelve weeks of unpaid leave, without losing his or her job. But only for the following instances:
  • for the birth and care of a newborn child
  • for placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition;
  • to take medical leave because of a serious health condition; or
  • to care for an injured service member in the family
Notice what isn't in there? No additional bereavement time for death of a spouse or a child. 

Steve died out of state. It took four days for his body to be returned to Richmond, Va.Would I have been expected to work some of those days so I could attend his funeral? What about the three days his body was in Richmond, Va and I was making funeral arrangements? Arrangements for friends and family to come in for their last goodbyes? What about the two days of viewing and the funeral itself? Would I have had to return to the office the day after my husband's funeral? The day OF his funeral?

I don't know how much time is enough time before someone can reasonably be expected back at work. I DO know three days aren't enough. Not everyone can afford to take twelve weeks of unpaid time off from work when the catastrophic happens. But they should have the right to do so.

A petition is underway to have Congress amend FMLA to include the death of a spouse. To allow widow/ers to take twelve weeks unpaid leave without losing their jobs. I don't know that twelve weeks is enough time. But it's what we're asking. Please sign the petition and send letters to your delegates. God forbid you or any you know have need of this amendment. Please help put it in place in case you do.

 Sign Petition

No comments:

Post a Comment