Monday, August 13, 2012

Donations

2 Year Donor Letter

Back in March of last year, I wrote about a letter I received from a recipient of Steve's tissue donation. I received another letter a few months later. I never wrote about that one.

The night Steve died, I sat on the phone at midnight with a social worker on the other end of the line to approve Steve's tissue donations. She said it could wait until morning but I knew there was going to be no sleeping that night. During the next week the only sleep I did get was with the use of sleeping pills. And even those would only work for about four hours at a time.

The social worker was kind, supportive, and continued to repeat things for me as I tried to translate her words into some sort of meaning through my fog of shock. I remember her explaining why Steve's organs couldn't be used but his tissues could. I remember giving permission for tissues that couldn't be used to help patients to be used in laboratories, hopefully helping future patients with breakthroughs in medical science. I remember her explaining that at two years I would receive a summation of Steve's donations and how they were used. How, tissue donations could be used up to five years after being harvested.

I couldn't imagine, at the time, what two years later would look like. What two years later would feel like. I still can't imagine what three more years from now will look or feel like.

I know I didn't cry as hard over the second letter I received from a recipient as I did for the first letter. And I didn't cry as hard over this summation report as I did for the second letter. Each time I received something, I would call family members and read it to them. At each reading I thought "this time I can get through it without sobbing." Each time I was wrong. Try reading this excerpt aloud without crying:
Stephen's donation consisted of orthopedic tissues, which are used to hasten recovery in individuals suffering from bone or spine disease or injuries. Many bone grafts can be generated from one tissue donor. In the case of Stephen's gift our donation records indicate the creation of numerous bone grafts which have been and will continue to be used to perform reconstructive surgery, spinal fusions, and oral surgery. Our records indicate that a surgery occurred in February 2001 in Massachusetts that enhanced the life of a male patient, and a surgery occurred in March 2011 in Pennsylvania that enhanced the life of a male patient. Also, grafts have been distributed throughout the country to states such as Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.

We do not have all the implant information, but clearly Stephen's donation has made and will continue to make a remarkable and widespread impact on the lives of many others in need.
I am so proud of my husband to have the foresight and desire to help others when he died. I am so proud of that heartbroken, shocked, scared, and lonely wife who sat on her back porch, phone in hand at midnight saying "Yes. Please. Help as many people as you can. Start right now."

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing testimony to his life. I don't know you/him but I am a widow and can understand how the letters would affect you deeply.

    Best,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband of 31 years passed away last year. He too was an organ donor. It made me sick to have to make the decision at the time of death but I knew this is what he wanted as do I. I received a few thank you cards several months ago and know he has continued & will continue to help as many people as he can with his gift of organ & tissue donation. He truly is my hero!

      Delete