Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"A HUGE Victory for the Yankees" from Steve

Back in 2005 my father and Steve took a weekend trip to see the battlefield at Gettysburg. They invited to me tag along but I thought they would rather have some time together. As my father never had a son, and Steve's father died when Steve was twenty, this was a special time for the two men in my life. I could certainly give them that time to be together.

When they came back my father delighted in telling how Steve got his new shoes all muddy because he had to go down and touch the water in the creek. Steve's shoes were so muddy that he later had to walk into a convenience store in just his socks. This from a man who never walked barefoot except the one step from his slippers to the shower and back. My father was certain I would throw a conniption fit. But I knew my Steve and he knew me. He stood in the doorway in his stocking feet, shrugged his shoulders, and said "I had to touch the water. I had to make it real." I knew exactly what he meant. And besides, sneakers were made to go into the washing machine. I'm glad I could give him that, too.

Some baseball fan out there might know what the Yankees did in 2005 that would warrant the title of this post. They're always winning World Series so why all the excitement in 2005? I think it was just an excuse for him to write about something he loved, American History.

A HUGE Victory for the Yankees - May 24, 2005

Lest there be any doubt, here at Sportsblog Steves this journalist will give credit where credit is due. I was humbled this weekend, and I intend to write about it here. It was in no uncertain terms a stupendous victory for the Yankees, and I am honored to tell you the tale.

The battle of Gettysburg

The Confederate Army of Northern Virginia was commanded by the great Robert E. Lee. Lee had commanded this army for a little over a year, and was 4-0-1. He had won decisive victories at the battle of Seven days, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg and Manassas, and fought to a draw at Antietam. He had never been defeated. The Yankees were skippered by General George Gordon Meade. Meade, who along with his favorite steed “Old Baldy” had been in command for three days.

On the first day of the battle of Gettysburg the South entered the town from the north, while the Yankees entered the town from the south. The Confederates had come to the sleepy Pennsylvania village in search of shoes, and were surprised to find John Buford’s Yankee cavalry waiting for them. After several skirmishes northwest of town, the Confederates drove the Yankees back through Gettysburg and into a defensive position on the high ground south and west of the town.

The second and pivotal day of the battle began with Yankee reinforcements arriving to fortify positions along Cemetery ridge. Lee, whose cavalry had not yet arrived, was uncertain of the Yankees strength or position. To the west of Cemetery ridge were two fairly large hills known as “Little Round Top” and “Big Round Top”. Lee deduced that from this position he could have a clear view of the Yankees, so he ordered his subordinate, General James Longstreet to take the hills. However Longstreet took over 5 hours to move his troops into position. By this time the Yankees had deduced the Confederate plan, and positioned several corps into a defensive position atop Little Round Top. Less than 15 minutes after the last Yankee was in place, Longstreet’s troops attacked and a fierce battle ensued. When the smoke cleared, the Yankees had prevailed due in no small part to the bravery and courage of the 20th Maine, which had been places at the far left end of the line and had been ordered to “hold the flank at all costs”.

Lee, who had never truly experienced defeat called the second day a Confederate victory.

On the morning of the third day, Lee decided he would defeat the Yankees once and for all. He ordered Longstreet to prepare a frontal assault on the Yankee center. He would send 12,000 men across a field from the Confederate position at Seminary ridge to smash the Yankees at Cemetery ridge. Longstreet strongly objected, but Lee would have none of it. Lee believed his army could do anything. At 1:00 PM, the attack began. For two hours the Confederates bombarded the Yankees with artillery, in an attempt to “soften the line”, but most of the artillery missed its target. When the Yankee guns, which had been returning the fire grew silent, the ground assault began. It took his troops 19 minutes to cross the field. Within and hour, 6,000 men lay dead or wounded. This infamous attack, forever known as “Picketts Charge”, was the single greatest military blunder in the brilliant career of R.E. Lee. As his troops returned in retreat, Lee was there to meet them. “This is all my fault” he said.

The battle of Gettysburg was the greatest battle ever fought on North American soil. Over 55,000 men were either killed or wounded. Today, the battlefield remains a living memorial to the bravery and valor of those who fought there, both Yankee and Confederate. Statues mark the placement of troops. On Seminary ridge, a statue of Robert E. Lee looks out across the field where Pickett’s charge occurred. From this vantage point you can see the statue of George Gordon Meade in the distance.

I realize that this material is not the typical material you are accustomed to reading at “Sportsblog Steves”. However, I did have the pleasure of visiting Gettysburg this weekend with my father in law and I had a really nice time, and if anyone thinks I’m going to write anything nice about the New York Yankees, you’ve got to be kidding me.

To read more about “Pickett’s Charge” click here: Picketts Charge

To read more about my favorite Gettysburg Heroes, click here: Confederate Commanders - Union Commanders

To read about the most bizarrely named restaurant I’ve ever seen, click here: General Picketts Buffet

No comments:

Post a Comment