Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Eyes Have It

I wear disposable contacts that are supposed to last me three months. I usually manage to stretch them out to six or even nine months. And I'm very lazy when it comes to taking care of them. I never take them out, I never clean them, and I most certainly never do that protein treatment thing. My ophthalmologist hates me.

It's taken me eight months and about four pair of contacts to figure out I can't do that anymore. Suddenly, after Steve died, I was throwing out contacts after two months, one month shy of how long they're supposed to last. I'm throwing them out after they make my eyes turn angry red, forcing me to wear glasses for a week before I dare to insert a new set. What was happening? What changed?

Well, I'll tell you. I cry. I cry a lot. I cry so much I've asked my investor dudes to buy stock in Kleenex cause that's the brand I use. I told them I'll give a heads up when I start feeling better so they know to sell off the stock. (You only think I'm joking, don't ya?)

Evidently all that crying causes protein to build up on the lenses a heckuva lot faster than normal. Which would irritate my eyes making me throw them out. Forget my ophthalmologist - now I'm not happy.

So here's a head's up to widow(er)s or anyone who has an inkling they're going to spend weeks upon weeks upon months crying: Be prepared to do that protein treatment thing. I nearly said more frequently but that would imply I was doing it to begin with. If you are doing the protein treatment, I suggest doing it at least once a week or risk throwing out your contacts faster. Probably you'll still have to throw those contacts out sooner but at least now you'll have a heads up as to why.

No comments:

Post a Comment